1.22.2008

LEARNING TO RUN

Today began my friends and I's first real day of training for the Crescent City Classic and although it was cold and windy I think we did awesome!! In the summer I was in serious need of new tennis shoes and I decided to get ones that were nike+ capable, just in case one day I started my life long dream to learn how to run. Now when I say this people sometimes laugh and maybe its just because I am blonde and they think I am stupid .... I know how to run, but I can only run for a few minutes or if my life depended on it.  All my life I have ridden down St. Charles Avenue under the beautiful oak trees and seen men and women, young and old, running. They just look amazing, so healthy and that maybe for those few minutes they are running thats all that matters. I WANT THAT!! I want to be able to just take off and run. Run for hours if I wanted to. Maybe not hours but maybe for an hour at least, just non-stop running. I don't want to be the fastest or go the furthest ... I just want to run and feel what those people are feeling while they run. I know I love taking walks and they really clear my head, but just to imagine running and getting your heart rate up, and your endorphins going. Its a natural high, or it looks that way from an outsider. So I want to join the club. So I signed up for the Classic and I joined the Nike+ running nation!!!


 

This is the 2006 Crescent City Classic Poster ... They are all really cool and very New Orleans. I am really looking forward to seeing and getting this years poster since it will be my first time in the Classic. I chose this one to post because the blues brothers running in short in the front made me crack up!!


Nike+ has now become my new best friend ... this technology is AMAZING!!! I love it. So I got my shoes over the summer and I got a cute product(red) nano when I got my new mac. So I had everything but the hookup for my shoe and nano, and the motivation to use my cool new gadgets all together. So today I went and bought the little pedometer piece that fits into the sole of the nike+ shoes and the receiver that hooks to the bottom of an ipod nano. They come together and its only $29, and you can find them almost anywhere or at Nike.com. Today was only my first day using it all but I am already super impressed. It tracks distance, time, and then gives you an average time per mile. But you have to remember to end you workout immediately ... if you check my nike+ profile page, it shows you how "slow" we got towards the end and thats because we stopped and I forgot to stop the workout on my ipod. You can also plug in your weight and it will track how many calories you burn (which I did not realize why it wasn't tracking my calories but then I read up on it and realized that you had to enter your weight ... so that will have to wait for tomorrow). Then when I got home I plugged my ipod into my computer and from itunes it automatically sent all that lovely data to my nike+ account



So you can track my Classic Training progress. The nike+ software keeps a lovely log of everything for me!! 

No comments: